SPONSORED BY OAKLAND COUNTY AND PARK WEST GALLERY
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE. VOID OUTSIDE OF THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES IN MICHIGAN: GENESEE, LAPEER, LIVINGSTON, OAKLAND AND ST. CLAIR, AND WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. OTHER MICHIGAN COUNTIES MAY EVENTUALLY BE INCLUDED IF THEY JOIN THE MICHIGAN ECONOMIC GROWTH ALLIANCE DURING CONTEST PERIOD.
- Contest Overview: Oakland County (“OC”), in conjunction with Park West Gallery (“PWG”) of Southfield Michigan are joint (“Sponsors”) of the MI Great Artist ™(“Contest”). MI Great Artist™ is an online art competition for visual artists, 18+ years, creating 2-D works. Artists will be able to upload 5 images and descriptions of their work for public voting. From the top twenty (20) artists determined by public vote, a five (5)-member jury of arts professionals will select five 5 finalists. The MI Great Artist™ Winners will be determined by a combination of jury score and public vote. In the event of ties, prize the Winners and/or Finalists will be randomly selected from winning entries. The prizes will be based on all of the evaluation criteria specified in these Official Rules. Only one Submission may be made per Entrant.
All interpretations and enforcement of the Official Rules, Eligibility and Submission Guidelines shall be made by Sponsors in their sole discretion and are at all times final.
- Registration Period: Contest registration period commences at 9:00:00 AM ET on June 29, 2012 and ends at 4:00:00 PM ET on July 20, 2012, (“Registration Period”). All entries must be received by 4:00:00 PM ET on July 20, 2012.
- Eligibility: The Contest is open to individuals living, working or attending school in one of the six (6) Economic Growth Alliance (“EGA”) counties: Genesee, Lapeer, Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair. Entrants must be at least 18 years of age or older at the time of entry to enter the Contest. Entrants must not be at time of entry, during Contest Period or at time of Prize (hereinafter defined) fulfillment and acceptance, a party to any agreement that might present a conflict or interfere with Entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or acceptance of the Prize. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant who is under any agreement which Sponsors deem to be in conflict with the nature of Contest. Employees, elected officials, directors, agents, and their immediate families (i.e., parents, spouse, siblings, children, grandparents, step parents, step children, and step siblings, and their respective spouses, and those living in the same household, whether or not related) of Sponsors and any entity which is involved in any aspect of the auditing, creation, production, operation, execution and fulfillment of Contest are not eligible to enter Contest. By participating in this Contest, Entrants: (i) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the interpretations of these Official Rules by Sponsors and by the decisions of Sponsors; (ii) acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules; (iii) agree to comply with any and all applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations; and (iv) agree to release and hold harmless Sponsors, Judges and any entity involved in the creation, operation, or fulfillment of the Contest and their respective agents, employees, elected officials, officers, directors, successors and assigns (“Contest Entities”) from and against any and all claims, injury or damages arising out of or relating to participation in Contest and/or the use, misuse or redemption of the Prizes, and for any claim, including claims based on defamation, publicity rights, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, or any other intellectual property related cause of action.
- To Enter: Entrants will complete entry forms on-line at: http://www.migreatartist.com. Mailed entries will not be accepted. Entries not submitted in the following formats may be subject to disqualification. Entrants must (i) submit up to five (5), not fewer than three (3), samples of artwork for consideration in the following format: digital full color photograph of original work; file uploaded as .jpg or .bmp format; and file size no larger than 800x600 pixels and no smaller than 400x250 pixels; (ii) indicate description for each work: title, medium used, dimensions and year created.
All information provided by Entrants may be subject to disclosure under the Michigan Freedom of Information Act, Court Order or other rule of law.
In the event of a dispute over who submitted a winning online entry, the authorized subscriber of the e-mail account, used to participate in Contest at the actual time of entry, will be deemed to be the Entrant. The authorized account subscriber for online Submissions is defined as the natural person who is assigned an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Proof to Sponsor’s satisfaction of being the authorized account subscriber may be requested by Sponsors.
- Submission Guidelines: All contents of Entrants Submissions, including but not limited to, content, text, images, graphics, photographs, captions and descriptions, hereinafter referred to as (“Submission” or “Submissions”), must be completely original to Entrants and must not have been taken or composed, in whole or in part, from any other source other than Entrant.
Submissions which contain materials that are not the original work of the Entrant, or are illegible or incomplete, will not be accepted.
Submissions must have been created in the past three (3) years, not prior to January 2009.
Submissions must not include, depict or involve any of the following: obscenity, inappropriate language, nudity, explicit sexual activity, illegal drug or alcohol use, violence, commercial products, material that is hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous, libelous, or otherwise unlawful, , material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual, or promotes discrimination based on race, ethnicity, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age, including but not limited to and any other content, including but not limited to, text, images, graphics, photographs, captions and descriptions, data, codes and programs that could be considered inappropriate or offensive, as determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion. Submissions must not include any images protected by copyright or trademark law, including brand names, logos, graphics, pictures or text or other property belonging to a third party unless the Entrant can provide Sponsors with a written authorization to use such third party content for this Contest. Additionally, Submissions may not violate an individual’s rights, including but not limited to the right to privacy or publicity.
Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any Submission that it deems to be a violation of any of Contest Official Rules or that are not in keeping with Sponsors image. Sponsors may request Entrant to modify their Submission so that such Submission meets the Official Rules. Sponsors are not obligated to use, publish or display or broadcast any Submission.
By entering the Contest, each Entrant represents and warrants that: (a) it has all rights to the contents of Submission and all components thereof, and that Entrant has obtained all rights, consents, and permissions, including, but not limited to, those of any persons that may have participated in Submission, necessary to grant the rights granted herein; (b) that the Submission, in whole or in part, has not been released commercially; (c) the Submission does not and will not violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation; (d) the Submission is free and clear of any and all liens or claims with respect to the use of the Submission in the manner authorized herein, and will not give rise to any claims of infringement, invasion of privacy or publicity, or infringe on any rights or interests of any third party, or give rise to any claims for any payment whatsoever; (e) the Submission is not and will not be defamatory, libelous, pornographic or obscene; and (f) the Submission complies with all Contest Official Rules.
All Entrants agree that in consideration for being permitted to enter this Contest, they grant Sponsors, and their respective representatives, in whole or in part, the right to verify any documentation necessary to prove their residency, employment, or school enrollment as specified in the Official Rules during the Contest period.
Entrants also agree to obtain, upon request from Sponsors, any documentation necessary to prove their unrestricted ownership in all contents of Submission and their right to use Submission as specified in the Official Rules.
Entrants retain all right, title and interest which the Entrant may have in and to their Submission, including copyright and any other intellectual property rights. Winners must authorize the display of their Submissions at the locations and during the time periods provided herein.
All entries submitted in compliance with these Official Rules and not disqualified are considered “Eligible Submissions”. Submissions will not be returned and receipt of Submissions will not be acknowledged.
- Judging: Contest judging will consist of (i) public voting to determine the top twenty (20) Submissions. Public voting period commences at 9:00:00 AM ET on July 25, 2012 and ends at 4:00:00 PM ET on August 17, 2012. Voting will occur at www.MIGreatArtist.com; (ii) a five (5) member jury (“Judges”) of arts professionals meet and select the five (5) Finalists from the top twenty (20) Semi-Finalists; (iii) the MI Great Artist™ First Place Winner will be determined by a combination of jury score and public vote and announced September 14, 2012. The prizes will be based on all of the evaluation criteria specified in these Official Rules. Only one Submission may be made per artist. All interpretations of these Official Rules and decisions relating to the Contest made by Sponsors are final.
Judges will include but will not be limited to representatives of Oakland County and Sponsors. The Judges will evaluate all qualified entries on the following criteria: (i) creativity; (ii) skill, mastery of medium; and (iii) overall artistic impact.
The Judges reserve the right to conduct interviews with any Semi-Finalist. The Judges also reserve the right not to declare any Finalists or Winners if, in their sole discretion, the Submissions do not meet the qualification standards based on the judging criteria specified herein. The application of the judging criteria shall be in the sole and absolute discretion of the Judges. In the event of a tie or dispute or for any other reason that Sponsors deem necessary, determination of the Finalists and First Place Winner will be made by Sponsors. Contest Entities disclaim any liability from any of their actions relating to this Contest. Entrants agree to waive any claims against Contest Entities relating to the judging or awarding process.
- Finalist Selection and Notification: Finalists will be selected among all of the Submissions of the Semi-Finalists by August 24, 2012. Sponsors will make up to three (3) total attempts over the 72-hour period following each Finalist selection to contact the potential Finalists via the telephone number(s) and/or e-mail(s) provided on his or her Submission form. If a potential Finalist cannot be reached directly during the 72-hour period in which he or she is contacted, the potential Finalist will be disqualified and an alternate Finalist may be selected, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, from among the remaining applicable Eligible Submissions received if time permits. In addition, Sponsors reserve the right to select an alternative Finalist in the event that any potential Finalist fails to comply with these Official Rules.
- Winner Verification: The potential Finalists must prove eligibility, including, without limitation, proof of age, residence and identity, which may include submitting a copy of a driver’s license, passport or similar government issued identification within three (3) days of being notified as a potential Finalist. In the event of non-compliance by the potential Finalist, such potential Finalist, shall be disqualified and all privileges otherwise due as the Finalist shall be terminated and an alternative potential Finalist may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, be chosen from among all of the Submission Semi-Finalists. To be eligible to be declared a Winner and to receive the Prizes, the potential Finalists must sign, within five (5) days of receipt of such documents from Sponsor: (i) Affidavit of Eligibility/ Release and Permission to Display the Artwork. Such Affidavit will release Contest Entities from any and all liability, loss, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injuries or death and/or damage to personal or real property, theft, loss or any other harm suffered directly or indirectly from potential winner’s participation in Contest, including, but not limited to, traveling to, preparing for and/or participating in any Prize related activity, or the acceptance, possession, or misuse of any Prize, to be eligible for the Prizes; and (ii) a publicity release granting Contest Entities the right to use Finalist’s name, picture and/or likeness, or biographical information or voice for trade, advertising and publicity purposes, in any media now or hereafter known, throughout the world in perpetuity without additional compensation or consideration or notification; providing Finalist is in compliance with the Official Rules Sponsors expressly reserve the right to delay the announcement of the Winners for any reason Sponsors deem necessary.
- Prizes: From the Finalists there will be selected One (1) MI Great Artist™(“First-Place Winner”), and four (4) Runners-Up; all 5 collectively referred to as (“Winners”).
The 4 Runners-Up will be awarded: (i) framing of their Submissions, (value $2,500); (ii) group exhibition and reception at Park West Gallery, Southfield beginning September 4, 2012 and ending September 28, 2012; (iii) Scholarship to attend one (1) Business Basics workshop offered through the Oakland County One Stop Shop/Business Center (value not to exceed $50) and a one (1) hour consultation with an Oakland County business development representative; (iv) a two (2) month solo exhibition in the Oakland County Galleria during the 2013 exhibition schedule; and (v) $250.00 cash prize.
The First-Place Winner will be awarded: (i) framing of their Submissions (value $500); (ii) group exhibition and reception at Park West Gallery, Southfield beginning September 4, 2012 and ending September 28, 2012; (iii) Scholarship to attend FastTrac® NewVenture, offered through the Oakland County One Stop Shop/Business Center beginning October 2, 2012 through December 4, 2012 (value $700); (iv) a solo exhibition at McLaren Oakland in Pontiac during the 2013 exhibition schedule; (v) a solo exhibition at Lawrence Technological University in Southfield during the 2013 exhibition schedule; and (v) $1000.00 cash prize.
In the event of a tie or dispute or for any other reason that Sponsors deem necessary, determination of the Finalists and Winners will be made by Sponsors. Contest Entities disclaim any liability from any Entrant and Entrants agree to waive any claims against Contest Entities relating to the judging or awarding process. Sponsors reserve the right to substitute prizes and to award additional prizes to other Entrants than the one winner specified herein.
- Prize Terms: All Prizes will be fulfilled by December 1, 2013. This date is subject to change in Sponsor’s sole discretion. The prize vouchers will be awarded in September, 2012., Fulfillment of the individual prizes will take place over the next year as provided herein. If for any reason any Prize is unavailable or any Prize related event is delayed, cancelled or postponed, Sponsors reserve the right, but are not obligated, to cancel or modify the Contest in its sole discretion and award a substitute Prize, or portion of Prize, of comparable or greater value. No substitutions, transfer, assignment or cash equivalent of the Prize, or any portion thereof, by Entrant is permitted. Contest Entities shall have no responsibility or obligation to prospective Winners who are unable or unavailable to accept or utilize the Prizes as described herein. All costs and expenses not specifically listed above as part of the Prize are solely Winner’s responsibility. Arrangements for the fulfillment of the Prizes will be made by Sponsors.
Winners must complete a W9 form and supply a copy of a document (e.g., social security card) with his or her social security number or Employer Identification Number for tax purposes. The value of the Prize will be taxable to Winners as income. An IRS Form 1099 will be issued in the name of the Winner for the actual value of the Prize received, if the actual value of the Prize is over $600. All federal, state and local taxes, and any other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of Prize not specifically provided for in these Official Rules are solely the Winner’s responsibility.
- General Terms: Contest Entities are not responsible if Contest cannot take place, or if any Prize cannot be awarded due to delays, interruptions, or failures due to acts of God, war, natural disasters, weather, acts or threats of terrorism, strikes, lockouts, labor disputes, work stoppages, fire, acts of government, or other events outside of the reasonable control of Contest Entities. If, for any reason Contest is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Contest Entities, which, in Sponsor’s sole determination, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend Contest or any part of the Contest. Sponsors reserve the right to modify and amend these Official Rules from time to time during Contest for clarification purposes without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Contest. If Contest is terminated prior to the expiration date stated herein, notice will be posted on http://www.MIGreatArtist.com and the Finalists and a Winner may be selected from among all Eligible Submissions received up until and or after, if applicable, the time of modification, cancellation or termination or in a manner that is fair and equitable as determined by Sponsors.
Entrants agree to indemnify and hold harmless Contest Entities from any and all liability arising out of or relating in any way to Entrants participation in Contest and to release all rights to bring any claim, action, or proceeding against Contest Entities. Contest Entities assume no responsibility for and will disqualify Submissions that are: stolen, late, lost, illegible, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, damaged, destroyed, delayed, misdirected (e-mail and mail), that have incorrect or inaccurate Submission information, whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in Contest, or by any human, mechanical or electronic error which may occur in the processing of the Submissions in Contest. Contest Entities assume no responsibility for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of Contest, errors in processing entries, identifying the Winners, in the announcement of the Prizes and Winners, and the delivery of the Prizes, any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer systems, online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or on any web site, or any combination thereof, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to Entrants’ or any other person’s computer system/software related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in Contest. Use of any device to automate or subvert Submission is prohibited. No software-generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online entries are permitted and any Submissions received by such means will be void. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any person they suspect or find: (i) to have used a software generated, robotic, programmed, script, macro or other automated online entry; (ii) to have tampered with the Submission process or the operation of Contest; (iii) to be acting in a disruptive manner, or with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; (iv) to display behavior that will bring such Winner or Contest Entities into disgrace; (v) to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with Contest; or (vi) to be acting in violation of these Official Rules.
ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY A WINNER WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS A WINNER OF THE CONTEST AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS A WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PERSON TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY’S FEES) FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. ANY LEGAL ACTION REGARDING THIS CONTEST SHALL ONLY BE BROUGHT IN THE SIXTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT COURT OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN, THE 50TH DISTRICT COURT OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN, OR THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE EASTERN DISTRICT OF MICHIGAN, SOUTHERN DIVISION, AS DICTATED BY THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION OF THE COURT. EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE REQUIRED BY LAW OR COURT RULE, VENUE IS PROPER IN THE COURTS SET FORTH ABOVE. THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN SHALL GOVERN THE CONTEST. EACH ENTRANT WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THESE COURTS.
All interpretations and enforcement of the Official Rules, Eligibility and Submission Guidelines shall be made by Sponsors in their sole discretion and are at all times final.
- Request for Names of Winners and Official Rules: For the name of the Winners and/or a copy of the Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
Irene Spanos, Director
Economic Development & Community Affairs
2100 Pontiac Lake Road
Waterford, MI 48328
Attention: MI Great Artist
- Sponsored By: This Contest is sponsored by Oakland County, 1200 North Telegraph Road, Pontiac, MI 48341.